1. How do I use Polident® denture adhesive?
- Clean and dry your dentures
- Apply Polident® adhesive as directed on pack in short strips not too close to the denture edges
- Rinse mouth before inserting dentures
- Press dentures into place, hold firmly and bite down for a few seconds to secure
- When using for the first time, apply a small amount of adhesive. It may take a few attempts to find the right amount for your denture. Wait several minutes before eating or drinking. Always follow the instructions on the pack.
2. Can I use denture adhesives regularly?
Polident® denture adhesives has a long established efficacy profile when used according to label directions. Millions of people regularly use GSK adhesives which is generally well tolerated when used as directed. Consumers are advised to visit their dentist regularly to ensure correct denture fit.
3. Is there a limit to the amount of denture adhesive that I can use in a day?
You should always follow label use instructions and apply once a day the smallest amount necessary to get the desired benefit. Applied once a day as per usage instructions it has been proven to provide all day hold.
4. What would happen if I ingest some of the adhesive?
Swallowing small amounts of this product, when used as directed, may occur and is not known to be harmful. Denture adhesive is generally well tolerated and has a long established safety profile. GSK employs a routine, pro-active process for identifying safety signals and always recommends using the product as instructed.
Ingestion of large amount of denture adhesive should be avoided. We always recommend using any GSK product as described in the product label.
5. Why do I sometimes experience oozing when using Polident® denture adhesive?
When you experience oozing of denture adhesive cream from beneath dentures, it's a sign that you’re using too much. If oozing occurs, reduce the amount of denture adhesive that you are applying. Remember, Polident® denture adhesive holds all day, so you should not need to apply it more than once a day.
6. How long does Polident® denture adhesive hold?
Our formulation provides an effective all-day hold for well-fitting dentures (up to 12 hours) — depending upon the individual, the fit of the denture, and the amount of saliva in the mouth and the foods and beverages that are consumed. Visit your dentist regularly. Ill-fitting dentures may impair your health.
7. How do Polident® denture adhesives work?
Polident® adhesives have demonstrated in clinical studies to provide consumers with benefits of all day hold and sealing out food particles. Physical retention of the dentures occurs when the adhesive swells in the presence of moisture (saliva) and excludes the air from between the denture and tissue surface. Voids between the denture and gums are reduced, giving the patient greater confidence to bite harder and eat a healthy varied diet
8. How does Polident® denture adhesive seal out food?
Polident® denture adhesives hydrate to form a physical barrier between the gum and the denture surface. This physical barrier serves to help block out food particles from getting trapped between the gums and the denture.
9. How do I remove the adhesive from my mouth and dentures?
You should swish your mouth with warm water and then take the dentures out slowly using rocking motions.
To remove adhesive residue from dentures, soak in a Polident® denture cleanser as per label instructions and brush any remaining adhesive from the denture.
To remove adhesive residue from the mouth, brush the roof of the mouth and gums with a toothbrush, and warm water.
10. Is Polident® adhesive safe to be used by pregnant women?
There is no evidence to suggest safety issues following the use of GSK denture adhesives during pregnancy.
11. Do GSK Oral Health products contain zinc?
At GSK, consumer safety is our primary concern. As a precautionary measure, GSK voluntarily stopped the manufacture, distribution and advertising of all zinc-containing denture adhesives in February 2010.
Our denture adhesives that contained zinc have always been safe and effective when used as directed. The vast majority of consumers did follow the instructions on the package. However, some consumers could have used the product in excess of the recommended usage over a long term which could give rise to potential associated health risks. As a result, GSK introduced a zinc-free line of denture adhesives.
GSK-manufactured denture adhesive cream no longer contains zinc and all are labeled Zinc Free.
12. Do GSK Oral Health products contain triclosan?
In 2008, GSK Consumer Healthcare took the decision to remove triclosan from its oral care products, worldwide. Triclosan was removed from all oral care products, by January 2013.
Triclosan is a chemical with antibacterial properties that has been widely used for over 30 years in consumer products such as detergents, soaps, skin cleansers, deodorants, lotions, creams, toothpastes, and oral health care products. Scientific and public opinion is divided as to the safety profile of triclosan. GSK Oral Care products were reformulated without triclosan and offer consumers the same core product benefits.
*in laboratory tests
POLIDENT is a trade mark owned by or licensed to the GSK group of companies..
© 2015 the GSK group of companies or its licensor. All rights reserved.
Denture Cleanser Tablets
1. What is the best way to clean dentures?
Caring for your denture is as important as caring for natural teeth. Regular toothpastes used on natural teeth may not be suitable for dentures as they may scratch the denture surface. Dentures need cleaning daily, and because they are different from natural teeth, they require specialist methods, like a denture cleanser, which are designed to effectively kill bacteria and reduce plaque and stain build up when used as directed.
2. How do I use Polident® denture cleansers?
- Drop one Polident® Cleanser tablet into enough very warm (not hot) water to cover denture for the time stated on the pack instructions.
- After soaking for 5 minutes with the denture cleansing tablets, brush denture with the solution using a soft brush.
- Rinse denture well with running water. Discard solution immediately after use.
3. Is there a limit to how long dentures can be left in the Polident® solution?
The denture cleanser should be used for the recommended soaking times on pack. The used solution should be discarded after a single soak.
4. How do Polident® denture cleansers work?
When used as directed, the multi-ingredient cleaning system in Polident® helps clean dentures by removing plaque and stains and killing Odour causing bacteria and Bacteria. The oxidants (Potassium Caroate and Sodium Carbonate Peroxide) in the formulation are bleaches and work to remove the stains that can build up each day. They are also effective in killing the bacteria and other microbes that are harboured by your dentures.
The detergent (Sodium lauryl sulfoacetate) will clean dentures by helping to lift the stain debris from the surface. The effervescent ingredients (sodium bicarbonate and citric acid) help to breakdown the tablet and disperse the above ingredients so they can get to work cleaning your denture. These actions are helped by brushing your dentures with the solution after soaking.
5. How often can I use Polident® cleanser?
Polident® cleanser is recommended for daily use.
6. Can I use more or less Polident® denture cleaning tablets than recommended?
No, always use Polident® formula as directed.
7. Can I use Polident® soaking solution multiple times for cleaning the dentures?
No. The used solution should be discarded after a single soak.
8. Should I use 1 tablet per denture (upper and lower) or 1 tablet per all the dentures I have?
Place both dentures in a glass and use one tablet.
9. Why is it important to use Polident® every day?
A daily denture cleaning regime is essential to maintain good denture hygiene.
Once a denture is placed in the mouth, plaque, stains and bacteria start to build up.
Polident® is specifically formulated for removing plaque and stains without damaging the denture. It also has proven bactericidal activity, killing 99.9% of odour causing bacteria*.
We recommend soaking daily with Polident® denture cleanser followed by brushing with the solution and a thorough rinse under running water.
10. Why should I use Polident® tablets instead of regular toothpaste? Is it better than regular toothpaste?
Regular toothpastes contain abrasives that help clean natural teeth primarily through mechanical action. The acrylic used in dentures is softer than natural enamel. Therefore abrasives in toothpaste can scratch the denture surface, helping to create the ideal conditions for growth of malodour bacteria.
Polident® unique denture cleanser tablet formulations are non abrasive, specifically designed to be gentle on dentures but hard on bacteria.
11. Can Polident® denture cleanser products be used with orthodontic appliances?
Please check with your dentist to gain advice specific to your appliance.
12. I’ve noticed flecks in the Polident® solution. Is that normal?
After the Polident® solution has fully dissolved, you may notice sediment at the bottom of the container. This is normal.
Remember to thoroughly rinse your denture with running water as part of your denture care routine before placing it in your mouth.